Monday, August 5, 2013

(Breast)milk and cookies

It has been 1 year, 2 months and 3 days since I FIRST breast fed my twins. I made a decision to do this while pregnant, being now a more informed adult. With my first, I really wasn't prepared enough for what I was going to take on. It resulted to a few unsuccessful tries and me giving up right away. I am glad that since then, doctors, hospitals and breastfeeding advocates have been adamant and more out there in teaching us about this. 

Drunk on mom's milk! 
My Medela Freestyle hard at Work since June 2012
When I found out I was carrying twins, I researched right away on how other moms handled breastfeeding this way. Books and forums helped on letting me know what to expect. But I guess, no matter what, your story is always unique to you. In my case after a few weeks of breastfeeding I switched to full expressing with the mighty help of my Medela Freestyle. I cannot cannot keep up. I felt that I was just alternating them non-stop. Someone is always latched on to me! I wasn't too keen on breast feeding them at the same time too. I couldn't lift them both up! I know my excuse would seem flimsy to some who have succeeded in doing this. I believe though, that as moms we should continue to encourage and support one another. We should offer our advise, tips and the tricks our experiences gave us and then HOLD BACK ON JUDGEMENTS. 

OK this blog entry is taking a completely different turn. Let me get back on what I really want to share. 

After my twins' 1st birthday, I allowed myself a bit of slack. Up to that point I have been feeding my babies pure breast milk, that I expressed.  As there are two of them, my supply just allows me to leave the house at most 6 hours at a time. I will always be carrying my pump around with me. I really felt a bit restrained. I have stopped working and being able to go out was considered a miracle. So after a year, I told myself, I wouldn't be the worst mother to allow them to have formula. I started skipping my 1am and 4am pumping schedule and just sleep. So my milk started to dwindle. At this point I want it to stop already. I am easing them into full formula feeding. I am sick of pumping. I am sure pumping does not even come close to the joys of breastfeeding. However as my milk supply starts to lessen, I found myself at a panic. I realized I cannot give it up just yet! I have become attached to the thought of this practice. It was quite empowering really, to be able to provide nourishment for your baby. How truly amazing it is to be creating milk! I bet those who breastfeed feel this kind of attachment 10x more than I do. So I needed a bit of help. 

My quite amazing friend, mompreneur Paola of Mommy Treats came to my rescue and gave me a sampler of all her lactation treats. 
Lactation GOODIES!!!

I first tried the chocolate chip oatmeal cookie and was a bit surprised. It actually tastes like a real cookie! Not those bland ones that immediately leads you to think it is healthy and good for you HAHA. Safe to say I immediately bit into everything. My ultimate fave is her brownie which is not surprising as it is her best seller. It is all sorts of delish! 

So this is what happens when I want to try everything out!
Included with all these goodies was a pamphlet, detailing storage guide, re-heating tips and what to expect etc. These treats are actually jam-packed with everything you need to increase your milk supply including Fenugreek, Brewer's Yeast, Flaxseed and Rolled Oats. All that in a calorie controlled pack. Since what they aim is "to increase your milk supply and not your weight ". Ain't that just the best??!
I took that info with me and enjoyed eating guilt-free! I also started pumping more often again and I must say I reach my target amount in a much lesser amount of time. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

So hard to resist these lil ones


So anyway as I am blogging, I am currently sampling the choco spoons. I was advised to stir the choco spoons on warm milk or water, even coffee. I like my way best though - munching on it straight up! haha

***
much love


No comments:

Post a Comment