Friday, April 25, 2014

Perks of Raising Twins



I stumbled upon this article from www.babble.com that lists down 7 Perks of Raising Twins. It was such a highly amusing read as I find myself nodding in agreement in almost all points. I want to share it with you guys as you might appreciate with me the joys of having my girls. 

1.  Your kids HAVE TO Share. 

I have often regaled about this perk in my posts as it is quite the obvious one to notice right? I also love how the article stated that your twins will not automatically WANT to share but would know the concept of sharing. "A forced consciousness that the world does not revolve around them" This is so true! I have broken numerous fights that resulted from wanting the same thing. ( Usually its the Ipad, you will not get me to buy them one of each of that ). But I know for a fact that they are also keenly aware of the concept of the other. How, you say, do I notice with my almost two year olds? Well there will be times when one would be extra fussy and clingy with me. I hold my gaze with the other as my way of assuring her that I am with her too. And I would see the understanding there. I SWEAR IT. She would wait her turn as if understanding that her sister needs me more now. 

2. You can't helicopter parent. 

Of all things I think I would be most guilty of this! HAHA You cannot do anything about it since there's only one of you and two of them! You cannot be obsessively watching every move. This of course results to more bumps and bruises. We have had plenty of those!!! I think this is also a testament on why my twins are feisty little things. I have mentioned this before, linking to needing to be more assertive of their wants, but thinking about it now, it may be because of this as well. They are often left to their own devices resulting to more adventurous and outgoing personalities. 

3.  You have a black belt in dealing with strangers.

Of all the things in here, this is the one I cannot completely agree about. Although we do get an onslaught of attention and bombarded with questions, I do not think I have my social black belt as yet haha 

4. You have little free time

I think this also applies to any moms out there not just for multiples.  But of course its true. Even if we are lucky enough to have help, each step we take requires twice the amount of time, planning, executing and the logistics! My goodness. How to begin. Each simple trip out for church is a circus what more for an out of town vacay! So yes that leaves pretty much very little time for anything else. So when it does give you free time you kinda take advantage of it too much ahaha

5.  You're only a kind of a "first time" parent

"Parents of more than one child often marvel at how different their children are at some point in their development. As a parent of twins, you’ll probably marvel a whole lot sooner. Parents of multiples tend to realize very early on that their kids are completely different people, with often opposite desires, reactions, and inclinations. " 

This is my favorite of all!!! I get to marvel at their uniqueness and wonder in amazement on how this can be! It is as if I am witnessing a miracle every single day!  They also go on to state that we parents realize that what our children does is "hard-wired". Something inherent to them already that  we had no hand in. They are just simply unique in their own! It is simply beautiful!

6.  You learn to say "NO".

"Parents of twins learn to pick and choose what their family is capable of achieving and which events they can reasonably attend." 

I have now the reason to say NO! The least favorite of perks especially of my husband but it is true. It is just not as easy to carry around two babies everywhere meaning we also have to accept that there will be times when we cannot make it to all events! This was where much of my sadness comes from. I have been so down since I see families taking trips everywhere with their babies. I was quick to realize that it will simply not happen for us just yet.  Soo off to no. 7

7. Your tolerance goes up

So until I have completely accomplished such, I will not be saddened by the fact that my twins are more homebound than others. It is true though that slowly but surely I am finding myself not quick to scream and get mad. I am learning to let some things go, a spill here , a broken toy there. You just pick your battles and it will be fine.  


I think I will often be writing about my tales of mommahood of twins and how extremely blessed I am. I am sorry for this is, if sometimes it will be in your face. It is just that - we are often (as a parent/parents of multiples) tired, over wrought and maybe on our wits ends - so allow as to bask in this glow and be reminded too. That there are of course so many things to be grateful for - times two even! 

***
much love



No comments:

Post a Comment